This is an old revision of the document!
This page is also available in Russian language.
Starting from version 4.6, Sparky uses Calamares installer as default.
Calamares is reachable in a live system under “Sparky Installer” icon, which is available from a desktop or system's menu → System submenu.
1. The first “Welcome” screen lets you choose language, you would like to use during installation process.
2. Choose your location, set language for the target system.
3. Choose your keyboard layout. You can try it out typing some letters/words in the bottom field.
4. Choose or/and create at least 2 partitions for your system:
You can create an additional 'home' partition (recommended) for your private files and your account settings.
Choose a place to install GRUB bootloader to:
UEFI machines need one more partition with 'vfat/fat32' file system and the size at least 100 MB.
If the partition already exist on your machine, don't format it, just use it.
If you have no partitions on your machine, you can use “Automated Partitioning' option. The installer asks you about that and will use all the free disk space.
If you have other system installed on your machine and no separated partitions for Sparky, use 'Install alongside' option so shrink an existing partition if you'd like to keep existing other OS installed on.
If you still are not sure about the partitioning process, read Disk partitioning guide.
5. Type information about your account and the machine:
You can use different password for the “root” (system admin) user, unchecking the “Use the same password for administrator account” box, then type twice the root password in.
If you would like to set a home directory (the next step) on separated, shared partition, DO NOT use the same user nick name as already exist in the other Linux distribution you will be sharing the home directory with. If you deleted other Linux distribution before and there still exist your old home directory - DO NOT use the same nick name as you had before.
The new nick name has to be different the before so the home directory will get different name, so it will avoid problems after the first hard drive booting.
6. Summary - if all the details are fine, simply push the 'Next' button to start the installation process.
If you'd like to change something, click 'Back' button.
7. Wait until the installation process will be finished.
8. Then restart your machine booting from a hard drive.